Southwest Texas Junior College's Dual Credit program is a great opportunity for Cotulla High School students to get a jump start on earning college credit while still in high school.
This program offers the following benefits:
- Expands academic options for college- bound high school students
- Minimizes the duplication of course's taken in high school and colleges;
- Shortens the time required to complete an undergraduate degree; and,
- Significantly reduces the cost of higher education
The Dual Credit program at Southwest Texas Junior College (SWTJC) provides students the opportunity to earn both college and high school credit while enrolled in high school. Through an educational partnership, SWTJC and participating school districts approve students meeting program requirements to enroll in agreed upon courses.
Course credit will be awarded through the school district for high school academic requirements and the college for semester credit hours leading to a post-secondary degree or certificate.
- Be classified as a CHS 9th - 12th grader
- Meet established admissions requirements and prerequisites for the desired course
- Comply with the state-mandated college entrance exam, the TSIA. Passing scores for the TSIA Reading - 351, TSIA Writing - 340/4 or 5 on the essay, and TSIA Math - 350. If a student does not meet exemptions based on SAT, ACT, OR STAAR EOC
- Attend mandatory New Dual Credit Student Orientation
- Cotulla ISD sponsors Cotulla High School students who take dual-credit courses. The student must make a C or better. Students who receive a D or lower must reimburse the district.
In order for the admission process to begin, the following must be submitted:
- A completed application for admissions - apply at www.applytexas.org (Apply Texas step-by-step instructions)
- Completed and signed Concurrent/Dual Credit Form
- Completed Dual Credit Consent Form
- Receipt and verification that college entrance testing requirements or exemptions have been met. These scores must be provided.